Do you know how important it is to run a vehicle history report? If you want to buy a new car, you really have to do it. This will tell you whether there have been any problems with the car in the past, and whether it is actually a Lemon car.
The reality is that if you buy someone else’s car, there are quite a few things that you should worry about. Running a vehicle history check, or a VIN (vehicle identification number) check, can put some of those concerns to rest.
Benefits of Running a VIN Check
When you run a vehicle history report, you will find out about:
- Whether the car has been in an accident in the past and, if so, what type of damage it sustained. This is important because a vehicle can be declared a total loss by an insurance company, but the owner is within their rights to fix it and keep it on the road. The question is whether you would want to own that.
- Whether the airbags have ever been deployed. While this in itself is not a problem, you need to make sure that they have been reinstalled by a professional. If you find out that the car has been in an accident, then you may want to ask a professional to look at the airbags.
- Whether or not there has ever been any damage to the frame of the vehicle. A damaged frame may be poorly aligned, which can be very dangers.
- Whether the car is classed as a Lemon car, which means that the vehicle should have been taken back by the manufacturer.
- Whether the vehicle was ever damaged due to natural events such as floods or hail stones. A flooded car can look fine if it has been dried properly, but it may have hidden rust. Similarly, if it has been hit by hailstones, its integrity may be damaged in certain parts.
- Who owned the car before you, and how many people have owned it before. The fewer the number of owners, the more likely it is that the car is in a good condition.
- Whether the mileage shown on the meter is correct or not. Meter fraud is still common, unfortunately. Additionally, some people will say the car has low mileage, when it has actually gone around the clock.
These are just some of the important reasons as to why you should run a vehicle history report. It gives you the peace of mind that you aren’t wasting your money on something that will soon break down. Finding problems does not necessarily mean you shouldn’t buy the car, however. Perhaps you have some mechanical skills yourself, or maybe you are on a very limited budget. The most important thing, therefore, is that the VIN check gives you an idea of whether or not you are being charged a fair price for the car you want to buy.