LONDON – Fernando Alonso is fit and “fully functional” after a jaw operation and will be fine for the Formula 1 tests in Bahrain, said his alpine team boss on Tuesday.
The double world champion broke his jaw in a collision with a car last month while cycling on a road near his home in Switzerland.
“Fernando is doing very well,” Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi told reporters at the online launch of the team’s new A521 car, where the Spaniard was absent.
“He’s had a bad incident. A bicycle accident is rarely something that comes easily, but he was lucky and only suffered from his jaw … the rest is perfectly fine. Fernando is perfectly fit. He is fully functional.
“We are even surprised that he recovered so quickly. He confirmed to us immediately after the incident that he would be in Bahrain, which was confirmed by his doctors,” added Rossi.
“It looks like he was right because he is absolutely fit and we look forward to seeing him in the car next week.”
The only pre-season test of Formula 1 will take place in Bahrain from March 12-14. The season starts there on March 28th.
Davide Brivio, the team’s new sporting director, said Alonso was extremely motivated for his comeback after two years out of the sport and at the age of 39.
“I can feel me chatting with him, you can see how hard he works, how strong his desire is to be back,” said the Italian.
Brivio, who joined MotoGP champion Suzuki, said the Spaniard is not only returning because of that, but wants to be successful.
“He’s quite demanding, but I like that,” he added. “We need this kind of driver who is really interested in putting everything together to get the maximum.”
It will be the Russian Daniil Kvyat alpine F1 reserve driver this season, said the Renault-owned team.
Kvyat lost his racing seat at AlphaTauri owned by Red Bull to Jan’s Yuki Tsunoda at the end of last season. The 26-year-old also served as a Ferrari reserve in 2018 when he was also dropped by Red Bull.
So far he has completed 110 races with three podiums.
“In a year of pandemic, it is important that we have a strong backup and Daniil has proven that he is a very fast and reliable driver in very difficult conditions,” said Rossi.
“He already got three podiums at the age of 26. So we are really, really trying to have someone who is able to step up and score the points if necessary. Take the car where it should be . ” End of line. “
alpine have the French Esteban Ocon (24) and Alonso as a racing line-up.
Her reserve last year as a Renault team was Russian Sergey Sirotkin. Chinese driver Guanyu Zhou will be the test driver.
Six of the 20 Formula 1 drivers have so far signed COVID-19, three of them, including seven-time Mercedes world champion Lewis Hamilton, missed races last season and must be replaced.
The 2021 season starts on March 28th in Bahrain.