Seeing BMWs, Porsches and Ferraris tuned is a mere joy. But the world is not defined only by expensive tuning projects. Home tuners need affordable and easy to transform cars that can remain practical while looking as they come from the cover of tuning magazines.
These cars also have to be easy to drive and maintain, cheap to buy and to tune. Who says that tuning has to be just for the wealthy?
Top 5 Best Cars for Tuning
1. Volkswagen GTI – the sweet, old Golf. This version has been adored by tuners for many, many years. So far it has featured lots of powerplants including 16-valve, bulletproof 8-valve engine, VR6, or a turbocharged 1-8 liter. With a large audience, the Golf is always on the mind of those who think about tuning a car but have no idea where to start. The most popular tune is the ECU which is a very simple mod that adds great horsepower and torque to the car.
2. B5 Audi S4 – the form and power of this car don’t impress anyone. Can’t argue with that! But with a bit of work and dedication the power levels can increase significantly. With two or three grand you can get your car to whistle 300 bhp without even getting on the mechanical teritory.
3. Honda Civic Si – this model has a 2.0-liter motor with 197-horsepower, a balanced chassis and an LSD option. It’s hard to want to add more power to the already most powerful car sold in the US but what you can do is add lightweight racing wheels. And if you beautify those dull rims with some ultimate tires you can enjoy everything that the Si model has to give you without spending all your life’s savings.
4. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution – one of the best and easiest cars to tune. This version of Mitsubishi is the result of a lot of work and suggestions received from fans. For a long time, this piece of beauty was available only in Japan but after noticing its potential, this turbocharged Lancer was brought to the US.
5. Ford Mustang GT – there is not need to explain why the Mustang is on the list. The 2010 Mustang GT is powerful enough to ‘tune itself’ (315 hp, V8) and it can be modified using a Ford Racing Handling Pack which is also familiar to the Shelby GT model.
Which one would you dare to tune?