PR: Scrap Car Comparison has revealed which F1 track is most popular on Instagram
Nürburgring in Germany tops the list
Belgium’s Spa Francorchamps, Japan’s Suzuka and Brands Hatch feature highly
From drone shots to stadium selfies, motor fans love to get a photo of race day and there are millions of posts on Instagram tagged to specific race tracks around the world. To get us hyped for the next F1 season, all 74 official Formula 1 racing tracks were analysed, to reveal which circuit had the highest number of hashtags.
The data showed that Germany’s Nürburgring is the champion of the social scene – with over 850,000 posts tagged with #nurburgring. Also on the podium is Circuit de Spa Francorchamps in second place with over 225,000 hashtags, and Brands Hatch takes bronze with 212,000 mentions.
The names of all F1 circuits, and popular variations of those circuit names, were entered as hashtags into Instagram to reveal how many images have mentioned the hashtags. The track name variation with the highest number of hashtags was counted, except for two cases: #silverstone and #watkinsglen. The data used the hashtag #silverstonecircuit instead of #silverstone as #silverstone posts included a significant amount related to the influencer @_____silverstone_____, and #watkinsglen posts include posts of the State Park as well as the track.
The Ten Most Popular F1 Track According to Instagram
|Rank||Track Name||Location||Hashtag||No. of Hashtags|
|2||Circuitde SpaFrancorchamps||Stavelot, Belgium||#spafrancorchamps||225,878|
|3||Brands Hatch||West Kingsdown, UK||#brandshatch||212,055|
|4||Suzuka Circuit||Suzuka, Japan||#suzukacircuit||205,556|
|6||Fuji Speedway||Oyama, Japan||#fujispeedway||166,355|
|7||Red Bull Ring||Spielberg bei Knittlefeld, Austria||#redbullring||125,469|
|9||Yas Marina Circuit||Abu Dhabi, UAE||#yasmarinacircuit||106,931|
|10||Circuit of the Americas||Austin, USA||#circuitoftheamericas||99,354|
1. Nürburgring – With a whopping 850K mentions, Nürburgring smashes the competition as the most popular F1 track on Instagram. Nicknamed ‘The Green Hell’ the track hosts its own Endurance Series, Ferrari Racing Days and ADAC GT Masters races.
2. Circuit de Spa Francorchamps – Host of the Belgian Grand Prix, Spa is very popular on Instagram, thanks to the variety of other major events it hosts, from the World Endurance Championship: 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps and the TCR Spa 500 to Motorbike Endurance and ADAC GT Masters.
3. Brands Hatch – Due to the #silverstone hashtag data being contaminated, the most Instagrammed F1 track in the UK according to this data set is Brands Hatch. Hosting the F1 British Grand Prix during the 1960s-1980s, the track’s Instagram popularity is down to the circuit’s diverse calendar which includes British Truck Racing, Mini Festival, British Touring Car Championships, Bike Racing and amateur driver experience days.
4. Suzuka Circuit – Japan’s Suzuka circuit is one of just two FIA Grade 1 licensed tracks to feature a ‘figure eight’ layout, and is one of the oldest remaining F1 tracks. Its famous Ferris wheel is frequently spotted in Instagram posts of the circuit.
5. Hockenheimring – Germany makes it into the top five twice with the #hockenheimring hashtag garnering over 188K mentions on Instagram. As well as hosting the German Grand Prix every other year, the flat track is also used for the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters, rallycross events and drag racing.
6. Fuji Speedway – In the shadow of Mount Fuji, this circuit has hosted a couple of Japanese Grand Prix, and offers one of motor sports’ longest straights at 0.917 of a mile long. Although it’s not a regular on the F1 calendar, Fuji Speedway is regularly featured in the Gran Turismo videogame series.
7. Red Bull Ring – Originally named Österreichring, this Austrian circuit has hosted F1 races in one form or another since 1970, and was officially renamed and reopened as the Red Bull Ring in 2011. Although local(ish) fan favourite Max Verstappen is frequently featured in Instagram posts with this hashtag, it’s actually Carlos Sainz Jr. who holds the current lap record at the Red Bull Ring.
8. Hungaroring – According to the national tourism board of Hungary, the Hungaroring is the third most popular tourist destination in the country after Lake Balaton and the Danube bend area. The circuit is loved by European fans, especially German, Austrian and Finnish and, as well as F1, it has hosted the DTM and FIA GT Championship races.
9. Yas Marina Circuit – Designed by Hermann Tikle (a German racing driver and circuit designer), the Yas Marina Circuit looks particularly striking on Instagram thanks to its marina location and bright turquoise track paint. It’s rumoured to be one of the most expensive F1 tracks ever built at an estimated $1 billion.
10. Circuit of the Americas – Since opening in 2012 the Circuit of Americas has become a firm fan favourite in the last 10 years. As well as being the home of the USA Grand Prix, it’s hosted for the IndyCar Classic, the Motorcycle Grand Prix of the Americas, the Americas Rallycross Championship, the American Le Mans Series and will host NASCAR racing from 2021.
Scrap Car Comparison also analysed the most popular NASCAR tracks and other motor circuits around the world. These results and the full top 20 F1 tracks on Instagram can be seen here: www.scrapcarcomparison.co.uk/blog/the-most-instagrammed-race-tracks