Winter is upon us! And it comes with a bad news and a good one. The good news is that Santa Claus is expected to appear bringing gifts. The bad news is that your car will have to undergo a couple of modifications in order deal with the cruel winter.
If it’s your first time facing winter with a new car you can take a look at the following tips and make a list with all the things you want to check before the cold weather takes over the world.
Tips on How to Prepare Your Car for Winter
1. The first thing you need to do is take your car to a mechanic who can check the following things: brakes, battery, defroster, antifreeze level, thermostat and heater.
2. Road salt is known for its corrosive features and it can easily damage the car’s paint. Wash it properly and coat it with fresh wax if you want to prevent damage and keep your car looking new for a longer period of time.
3. The car’s coolant should be somewhere between the minimum and the maximum level. It is very important to have plenty of anti-freeze in the coolant in order to assure the protection of your engine.
4. The tyres are just as important as the rest of the car. You should check to see if they have any bulges or splits. And don’t forget about the pressure. If you live in a snowy area buy winter tyres which can help you with the traction and maintain better control.
5. Buy winter wiper blades that can cut the snow or ice. Leave the regular ones at home during winter. And definitely don’t forget to change the windshield wiper fluid with one that is designed especially for freezing conditions.
6. It’s frustrating to have to deal with doors that stick in the cold. But there are special sprays that can be bought from motor retailers. If you don’t want to spend so much money you can also use vaseline as more cost effective alternative.
Tick all these elements on your list and you will be ready to face the nasty cold without any problems. Do you have any other tips on how to prepare your car for winter?